Skip to main content

A 2-Mile PR and Some Festive Socks

On Thursday night, I ran a small 2-mile race that was just about 30 minutes from home - the Dalton St. Patrick's Day 2-Miler. And, uh...I really don't know how to make a post out of a 2-mile race. I ran hard, and it was over quickly. The end.

I guess I'll elaborate, because otherwise there really is no point to this blog, is there?

It was a weird race time - 6:30 p.m. I had a pretty regular day of work beforehand, and ate normally but avoided veggies for the day, just in case. Then I pestered my husband and made him get up, go outside and take a series of pictures to prove that I dressed up for a race. He loved it. He really loves when I make him take pictures of me for the Internet. It's his favorite pastime.




I got to the race, registered on the spot and met a friend of mine to run the course as a warm-up. I think we ran the two miles at about a 10:30 pace, taking it really easy, but we did throw in a few 10-second strides at a faster pace.

The race takes place at a local church and is really family-friendly, which means that there are a lot of kids. Luckily, they made a big deal about only letting people who could run 2 miles UNDER 15 minutes at the front, which stopped some of the younger kids from getting caught up in the start and making things too chaotic. (For the record, I didn't join the speedy folks at the front, despite *spoiler alter* eventually finishing under 15 minutes).

At the start, I had my eye on a lady who typically finishes ahead of me and tried to stick with her. The first mile was 7:04, which made me so excited, because part of it was uphill. Clearly that wore me out, because even with the corresponding downhill on the second mile I slowed right down. It was hard. I was out of breath. But it was awesome.

Photo Courtesy of the Photographers at the Local High School

Final time: 14:54, 1st place in my age group, 5th woman overall (7:27 pace)

Yep, I'll take that. I had a goal of 15 minutes for this race, and I got there with a few seconds to spare. It took me a couple of minutes to breathe properly afterwards, which I think means I worked for that time. Isn't that the best case scenario? Wanting to die during the race but feeling amazing after the fact? Perfect.

Of course, scooping up some bling was fun too. Loved that part a little bit.

My friend Julie and I and our AG medals


Anyone else run a St. Patrick's Day race this weekend?
I know a few people who were in Atlanta for the Publix half and full, which I ran last year (the half!) 

Just a heads up...I had someone email me about running a race this with IT band pain, which is a valid question! I understand that I am treading a fine line between resting, strengthening the area and maintaining my running fitness. I feel lucky that I have almost no pain as long as I foam roll before a run and warm-up properly, but that isn't the same for everyone! 

Comments

  1. I have to say I love the socks!!! Where did you get them? and AWESOME job on the time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're from Target - but last year. Not compression socks, just for fun!

      Delete
  2. Woohoo, congrats on a great race and coming in under your goal time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, love the outfit and the bling but ESPECIALLY that you won your age group and finished in under 15 minutes. AWESOME. Tim should feel so privileged to be taking pictures of his beautiful wife! :)

    How are those kitties anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the PR and I like your festive attire! I ran a 5k Saturday and didn't wear a lick of green, and I even own a green Tshirt. But I did wear orange, and I'm Protestant, so that's right anyway, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No puking? You could have run harder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome! I did run a race and it was actually pretty interesting. While I run a lot, this was the first time I actually entered a race, a 5K, and it was great! In an effort to find out what my 5K pace is (training for a marathon...) I placed 3rd in my age group. It was pretty cool and the girl who never cares about PRs (me) now understands the allure of PRs! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You are just PR'ing the heck out of every race you run! Nice job Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like your husband and mine have a lot in common :) GREAT JOB!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Ms Speedy! Great job. I have to say, I didn't know there were TWO mile races! That's an interesting distance, as I wouldn't really know when to put on the gas and would probably go out too fast and poop out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You totally look like the actress Kate Mara. Random, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice job being speedy and looking good doing it! I don't know that i have ever done a 2 mile race, but wouldn't mind trying sometime, always fun to get an automatic PR.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't even know there were such things as two mile races. Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats on the pr! that's a cool photo of you at the finish with a beautiful stride ;) i'm running a shamrock 8k, but not until april 7th. weird right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stop being so cute. Okay, don't stop...I love it. Danggg girl you dropped some speed on it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Speedy McSpeederson! Great work, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I say AMAZING...GREAT TIME! You are such a fast girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When did you get so dang fast?!?!?! Woohoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. NICE! Super speedy! Way to make the husband go, you know he secretly loved it. This was the first year in a long time that I didn't run a St. Patty's Day race!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look smoking fast in that running picture. Congrats on such a speedy race!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute outfit! Asking my husband to take pics of, or with, me is like pulling teeth sometimes. Lol it is his favorite pastime too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats Vanessa! Cute outfit and hooray for winning your age group!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! That is amazing! I cant even run ONE mile as fast as you average 2! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing!!! So fast!!! Congrats on the first place for AG! Very impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats Ms Speedy! What a cool distance to race- I havent seen any 2 milers around here in Chicago... ever! Seems like a fun distance to race :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love your blog...

    its very cool , i lovet !! :D


    Greetings from Portugal :)


    Arthur B

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Race the Bar 5k Recap (AKA: A Personal Worst!)

Do you remember a few weeks back, when I was all braggy about running in Florida in February/March? Sunny mornings around a lake with a light breeze off the water have turned, cruelly, into humid stretches of time where I am humbly reminded of my own limitations. You guys, I see these gazelle-like creatures, men and women alike, who prance on my running route with compression socks, a soft glow of perspiration at their brow. It's beautiful. It's also a harsh reminder that I am not them. I am currently running in the thinnest, smallest items of clothing I can without offending anyone (shirt stays on, people). I dare not step outside without some awful visor or wide-brimmed hat. When I hop in the shower after a run, my face is a deep crimson that causes my husband to voice his concern for my general well-being. Have I mentioned this is what happens after my easy runs, with a few walk breaks thrown in? Yeah. It's humbling. Now, I'm not complaining. It's beautiful

1st Wedding Anniversary--Celebrating with Chocolate!

One year ago today, I married the love of my life. And I couldn't be happier! In celebration of our very first anniversary, here are some pictures of our favorite moments together: Our first trail race together Hiking together in GA And of course, our wonderful wedding in Hong Kong. We both decided to keep things very simple, with a casual ceremony with a few friends and family and then lunch at the Mandarin Oriental. Exactly what I wanted! With our parents after making it official! Our entire wedding party. Just family and dear friends! Goofing around with my garter at the reception lunch! You think you know what couples do after they get married? You know, their first night at man and wife? If you guessed eat ridiculously delicious chocolates in their bed at the Grand Hyatt, you're right.  Oh, I haven't changed. One year later and I still celebrate with sweet things! Thanks Tim, for being a wonderful husband. I love you!

Brace Yourselves: Cuteness is Coming

One of the hardest things about moving, for me, was wondering how the cats would adjust each time. Although our cats are super travelers at this stage, I feel really guilty every time we have to pack them up and force them onto a plane. I remember my grandma telling me years ago that when she moved with a cat, they put butter on their paws. That way, the cats spent the first day in a new house licking their paws to get them clean, and that was enough time to lose the "smell" of the old house. I love that story, and I wish the same principle applied to longer moves. Anyway, that's a super long intro to say that for the fellow cat ladies out there, our three fur babies are insanely happy in this jungle gym of a home here in Florida. It's warm, there are plenty of sunny spots to curl up a take a nap, and they have lots of room to spread out. Despite the space, of course, they still usually want to take a nap on my head at night. Obviously. They also love climbing on ou