Skip to main content

Things That Kicked My Ass This Week

Life has a funny way of forcing you to slow down, doesn't it? I ran a half-marathon PR in September, a marathon PR in November and then another marathon PR in February. When I write it all out like that, an injury doesn't just seem possible, it seems probable.

The last couple of weeks have involved some IT band pain and some slight knee pain, but every day it gets better. The key (anecdotally, I'm no doctor) seems to be the magic of the foam roller. I know not what kind of sorcery is contained in that foam cylinder, but I love it.

My cats like to stretch with me :)

I was supposed to run a 12-hour race on Saturday, but I knew that doing so would be a terrible idea. Instead, I worked out hungover on a hotel elliptical for 20 minutes. That's the same as running for 12 hours, right? Right.

Thankfully, I never had a chance to be sad about the DNS (did not start), because Tim and I ended up having a fantastic weekend. On Friday night, we went to an all-German birthday party. I took no pictures, ended up with blisters thanks to ridiculously sexy and uncomfortable shoes, danced my ass off and stayed up until 4 in the morning. Hence the 20 minutes on the elliptical the next day feeling like death.  I also refused to speak German until the second (or was it third?) bottle of wine, which is when I become a professional translator. I assume that slurring is understood universally.

I thought it might be interesting to share my workouts for the last week, if for no other reason than the fact that it included things besides running.

Monday: 25 minutes of foam rolling, 4 miles on treadmill
Tuesday: 30 minutes of foam rolling, 6 miles on treadmill
Wednesday: 30 minutes of Pilates at home
Thursday: 4 miles running outside with a friend, easy pace (9:30)
Friday: 20 minutes of foam rolling, 3 miles on the treadmill
Saturday: 20 minutes on the elliptical. Also, I lifted one of those weighted medicine balls in the hotel gym because it made me feel buff. It was heavy. I stopped immediately.
Sunday: 30 minutes of foam rolling, 9 miles @9:24 pace, FLAT - hills still bother my knees a little



On Wednesday I did a Pilates video on Youtube, and it was quite possibly the hardest thing I have ever done. It's from the blogger behind Blogilates, who I had honestly never heard of before until I searched "Pilates" on YouTube. Anyway, can't vouch for the blog, but I will say that the video is pretty tough. It's just under 30 minutes, and it is mostly abs/upper body. I'll probably continue to use it for cross-training. Theoretically.

This was far from a coherent post, so I will leave you with the following list of things that have kicked my ass in the past week:

-High Heels
-Running without 30 minutes of foam-rolling first
-DNS-ing. It just sucks.
-Pilates (AKA: using my core)
-Remembering to take pictures. What kind of blogger am I, damn it!


Does anyone have any recommendations for workout videos from YouTube?
I'm also surprised when I remember that there are some good ones on there. I just hate when I find a great one that lasts, like, 4 minutes. Great workout there, buddy. 

Have you ever had to DNS a race?
Sadly, this isn't my first time. The worst one for me was in Hong Kong, when I has plantar fasciitis and had no idea was it was (pre-blogging, obviously). I was convinced that my foot had broken or something.

Comments

  1. I can't believe you foam rolled for 1:45 in a week.

    Also, that picture is adorable. KITTEH!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on god's green earth do you foam roll for half an hour??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only possible way to not die of boredom is to do it in front of the television!

      Delete
    2. I was going to ask the same thing. I'm out of ideas after about 45 seconds!

      Delete
  3. I have done a lot of the yogadownload videos on youtube, and I like them - the narration is kind of too yoga-vibey for me (very "be one with the breath" stuff), but the practice is good, overall.

    I've DNS'ed one race because I was afraid I was injured (and then was glad I did, because it ended up being a mess of a race), and another because it was an out of state marathon that I registered for on a whim, and then changed my mind. Lame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cracking up that your cat likes to stretch with you. my dog is afraid of my foam roller... then again, so am i!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit can I get an invite next time? That party sounds amazing and I want to see the sexy shoes! I have always wanted to try pilates but I'm too lame to actually go to a class so I should try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cat is the same way. And she likes to lay underneath my shoulders while I'm doing planks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No picture of the shoes at least?! You're killing me here Vanessa. Sorry about the DNS-I was really hoping to get to spend some time with you. I had no idea you could speak German. That's really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a lot of DNS's when I had my hamstring injury so I know the feeling. I think I even cried! After all you have accomplished this year you can definitely take some time off to get back to 100%. I am amazed at all you have accomplished! Take it easy and get better. You will be glad that you backed off and allowed your body to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One DNS...Big Sur...last November...that was a sad time around here..I made the decision that was best for my family at the time. I know I will have another chance.

    Hope you will get better soon. So I was going to ask when you roll before or after and at the end I saw that is has to be before.I always do after but now I think I should do like you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wait, how do you even foam roll for 30 minutes!? It seems like after 5 there is nothing left to do....

    And I love Blogilates! She sometimes is a little too upbeat for me and her jokes are corny but she gives a tough workout. She has a ton more videos on her web site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummed you didnt get to start your race but I think it was a SUPER smart move on your part. I need to start making super smart moves too...I dont know what it is about running and having to miss a workout/run that makes me make very poor decisions sometimes! I've never had to DNS or DNF a race yet!
    ~Anna
    fitgirlwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cat stretching is hilarious!! I had to DNS once after injuring myself skiing the week before (oops) and the other time I sold my bib so that doesn't count right?!

    At least you got to have fun that you wouldn't have been able to do otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember a DNS when I was in college, my brother and I drove to the wrong airforce base!!! So we were at the wrong place and the starting line was about 1 & 1/2 hours away and we knew we wouldn't make it in time! Yes we felt pretty silly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My cats like to bite the foam roller. I finally had to put it away in a closet -- they ignored it for six months before realizing it's tasty -- because they started to bite chunks out of it. Now I forget to foam roll because it's not sitting right there under the TV.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I DNS or DNR a 10 mile race recently because it was raining and cold. No thanks, it was my first one too! But I sure did get my t shirt! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my it's been years since I wore high heels - I tried on some fabulous boots a couple of days ago but just know I would have to go into serious training to be able to wear the heels!! Glad you had so much fun.

    I love Pilates!

    There is a young trainer that writes a blog called Renisha Renewed and she has good utube vids about 10 minutes long each - I do them 2 times through and they are some HIIT some Tabata and some bodyweight stuff. I think they are under renewedfitness.org

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are simply amazing. I am in awe of your consistent workouts, even though you say you have backed off a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is amazing how fluency improves with booze! (They should serve beer in German class and sangria in Spanish. It would make class so much more effective!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was going to ask the same thing as Kara... a half an hour of foam rolling!? I am lucky if I get in about 10 seconds, then I am done! I think 20 minutes of treadmill running and lifting and putting down a medicine ball once is a much better workout than running for 12 hours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Race the Bar 5k Recap (AKA: A Personal Worst!)

Do you remember a few weeks back, when I was all braggy about running in Florida in February/March? Sunny mornings around a lake with a light breeze off the water have turned, cruelly, into humid stretches of time where I am humbly reminded of my own limitations. You guys, I see these gazelle-like creatures, men and women alike, who prance on my running route with compression socks, a soft glow of perspiration at their brow. It's beautiful. It's also a harsh reminder that I am not them. I am currently running in the thinnest, smallest items of clothing I can without offending anyone (shirt stays on, people). I dare not step outside without some awful visor or wide-brimmed hat. When I hop in the shower after a run, my face is a deep crimson that causes my husband to voice his concern for my general well-being. Have I mentioned this is what happens after my easy runs, with a few walk breaks thrown in? Yeah. It's humbling. Now, I'm not complaining. It's beautiful

1st Wedding Anniversary--Celebrating with Chocolate!

One year ago today, I married the love of my life. And I couldn't be happier! In celebration of our very first anniversary, here are some pictures of our favorite moments together: Our first trail race together Hiking together in GA And of course, our wonderful wedding in Hong Kong. We both decided to keep things very simple, with a casual ceremony with a few friends and family and then lunch at the Mandarin Oriental. Exactly what I wanted! With our parents after making it official! Our entire wedding party. Just family and dear friends! Goofing around with my garter at the reception lunch! You think you know what couples do after they get married? You know, their first night at man and wife? If you guessed eat ridiculously delicious chocolates in their bed at the Grand Hyatt, you're right.  Oh, I haven't changed. One year later and I still celebrate with sweet things! Thanks Tim, for being a wonderful husband. I love you!

Brace Yourselves: Cuteness is Coming

One of the hardest things about moving, for me, was wondering how the cats would adjust each time. Although our cats are super travelers at this stage, I feel really guilty every time we have to pack them up and force them onto a plane. I remember my grandma telling me years ago that when she moved with a cat, they put butter on their paws. That way, the cats spent the first day in a new house licking their paws to get them clean, and that was enough time to lose the "smell" of the old house. I love that story, and I wish the same principle applied to longer moves. Anyway, that's a super long intro to say that for the fellow cat ladies out there, our three fur babies are insanely happy in this jungle gym of a home here in Florida. It's warm, there are plenty of sunny spots to curl up a take a nap, and they have lots of room to spread out. Despite the space, of course, they still usually want to take a nap on my head at night. Obviously. They also love climbing on ou