Skip to main content

Guest Post: Want Guns Like These?

As you know, I've been reducing my mileage quite a bit lately, reducing my weekly running from about 35 miles each week to closer to 20. Instead, I've been adding in a lot more cross-training, in the form of yoga, strength training, and home work out videos. Christy from My Dirt Road Anthem is a big fan of BodyRock.tv, so I knew I had to listen. Um---check out these guns:


Interested yet? Exactly. Check out this wonderful guest post from Christy on her take on cross-training.

I would like to thank Vanessa for letting me do a guest post for her.  I love her blog.  She is so cute and always posts about something dear to me ...food.  Mmm.  

I decided to write about what I do for cross training for my guest post, I will try to keep this short because I could sing the praises for this all day and not get bored. 

I first learned about BodyRock.tv nearly a year ago.  My sister kept telling me about it and trying to get me to check it out.  I was pretty sure it would be like a lot of other things on the internet I had seen boring, hard to follow, too easy, too expensive, etc.  Finally the day after Halloween I looked it up and tried the workout that had been posted for the day.  I felt exhausted, energized, and was hooked immediately, here is why.  You would think they paid me for this but they did not.  I just love BodyRock.tv!




1. It is free.  Completely free.  All I have to do is open the website and pick a workout.  I don't have to join anything.  No spam.  You can donate if you want but they don't even push that.  There is just a button at the bottom of the post if you so decide.

2. New workouts every week.  It is easy to not be bored because if you want, you never have to repeat the same workout twice.  Occasionally she goes back and visits an old workout, but it is actually fun to do because you try to beat your old scores.  I have been amazed at the progress I have seen.  I redid my first workout a month later and saw big changes.  Right now there are 323 workout to choose from. 

 3. Minimal equipment.  She uses an interval timer, a jump rope, a pull up bar, a dip station, and a sandbag.  Occasionally a ball.  I use an interval timer on the internet, have a jump rope, use the backs of two chairs for the dip station, made my own sandbag filled with rice and already had a pull up bar.  I was out no money to get started.  Oh-- and I had the ball already too.  A lot of her workouts are bodyweight  exercises only.  No equipment needed.



4. Most workouts are super quick.  12-20 minutes for the majority of them.  A few are longer, but all leave me exhausted when I have given it my all. 

5. I saw results I loved.  After 3 months I started getting lots of compliments on my arms.  I noticed my abs were more toned and defined and my legs were more defined also. I haven't picked up any of my free weights since last Halloween and my arms look pretty awesome.

6.  After not running as much as I wanted to over the winter due to cold, snow, and rain, I PRd in the spring in the 5k and the 5 mile and most recently the half marathon.  I believe the high intensity interval training I have done with BodyRock.tv is partially to be credited for that. It not only has made me stronger it has taught me to push through the pain just a little harder. 

7. I have learned new moves like one legged squats, dive bombers, monkey pushups, reptile pushups, scorpion pushups and many more kinds of pushups I had no idea existed.  I do fun moves like ninjas and surfers and clapping pushups.  I do things like jump lunges and high knees, burpees till I think I may puke.  



8. I have tried videos before.  By the time I had done them 5 times I hated them and was bored.  I have been bodyrocking for almost 9 months now and it is still the first thing I check when I get home from work to see if they have posted a new workout yet.  

Are you convinced yet?  Have you tried it before or even heard of it?  
Any other BodyRockers out there?  I would love to hear why others love or hate it.


Comments

  1. Ohh... thanks for the lead! I need indoor workouts to supplement my outdoor running (now that morning "low" temperatures are still near 80 degrees, and the high temps... well we just won't talk about that). I do yoga classes and have a stationary bike and free weights, but I get bored easily when I'm not outdoors. ;)

    I am definitely going to look up BodyRockTV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed by those pictures. I would have fallen over if I tried to balance on one foot like that. I am not much into working out but this sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Christy, I am going to have another look this Fall... no room on the boat for BodyRock moves but my GAWD, your arms are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to do this, I have the same problem with videos. I love 'em and hate 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME guns!
    And that one legged squat? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.... Those are some serious pipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoaaa, great arms! Going to the website *now*.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOLY ARMS! I have heard of Bodyrock and have done a couple of the workouts off the site. They are pretty challenging. I didn't know that they would have such a positive effect though! I'm not a huge fan of lifting weights on a regular basis. I love body weight exercises so maybe I should be a committed Bodyrocker! It helps when the girl teaching you has the body every woman has ever dreamed of!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am trying one of these workouts ASAP. I love your arms and that's where I struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to look up one of these workouts today! It sounds awesome and I love that they are only 12-20 minutes long!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of this program!

    WOW on the arms!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow!!! I will definitely have to check out the program. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah this is fantastic! I will DEFINITELY be checking this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christy - Great post, thanks! I actually stumbled across the bodyrock website a few weeks ago and have been wanting to give it a try but lack some of the equipment. I was very intrigued by the sand bag and love how you made your own! I had considered doing the same thing, but don't know what to put the filler in. What did you use and approximately how much weight did you put in (understanding that it could vary by the person using it)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah burpees! You both need to sign up for a spartan race! You're already trained !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How have I not heard of this bodyrocktv before???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome, thanks for the recommendation! I definitely think I will check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great body! Workout really helps build your perfectly. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Race the Bar 5k Recap (AKA: A Personal Worst!)

Do you remember a few weeks back, when I was all braggy about running in Florida in February/March? Sunny mornings around a lake with a light breeze off the water have turned, cruelly, into humid stretches of time where I am humbly reminded of my own limitations. You guys, I see these gazelle-like creatures, men and women alike, who prance on my running route with compression socks, a soft glow of perspiration at their brow. It's beautiful. It's also a harsh reminder that I am not them. I am currently running in the thinnest, smallest items of clothing I can without offending anyone (shirt stays on, people). I dare not step outside without some awful visor or wide-brimmed hat. When I hop in the shower after a run, my face is a deep crimson that causes my husband to voice his concern for my general well-being. Have I mentioned this is what happens after my easy runs, with a few walk breaks thrown in? Yeah. It's humbling. Now, I'm not complaining. It's beautiful

1st Wedding Anniversary--Celebrating with Chocolate!

One year ago today, I married the love of my life. And I couldn't be happier! In celebration of our very first anniversary, here are some pictures of our favorite moments together: Our first trail race together Hiking together in GA And of course, our wonderful wedding in Hong Kong. We both decided to keep things very simple, with a casual ceremony with a few friends and family and then lunch at the Mandarin Oriental. Exactly what I wanted! With our parents after making it official! Our entire wedding party. Just family and dear friends! Goofing around with my garter at the reception lunch! You think you know what couples do after they get married? You know, their first night at man and wife? If you guessed eat ridiculously delicious chocolates in their bed at the Grand Hyatt, you're right.  Oh, I haven't changed. One year later and I still celebrate with sweet things! Thanks Tim, for being a wonderful husband. I love you!

Brace Yourselves: Cuteness is Coming

One of the hardest things about moving, for me, was wondering how the cats would adjust each time. Although our cats are super travelers at this stage, I feel really guilty every time we have to pack them up and force them onto a plane. I remember my grandma telling me years ago that when she moved with a cat, they put butter on their paws. That way, the cats spent the first day in a new house licking their paws to get them clean, and that was enough time to lose the "smell" of the old house. I love that story, and I wish the same principle applied to longer moves. Anyway, that's a super long intro to say that for the fellow cat ladies out there, our three fur babies are insanely happy in this jungle gym of a home here in Florida. It's warm, there are plenty of sunny spots to curl up a take a nap, and they have lots of room to spread out. Despite the space, of course, they still usually want to take a nap on my head at night. Obviously. They also love climbing on ou