Skip to main content

What Heaven Must Be Like.... (Candy and Running)

I should have realized when I checked into the hotel and got a warm cookie, that the trip was going to be sweet. Thank you Doubletree, for causing a three day addiction to sugar. 


The cookie part was great, but they must pipe that smell through the hotel. All I could smell was warm gooey deliciousness every time I stepped foot in the lobby. 

I heard rumors of a great candy store in Savannah, so surprise, surprise, that was our first destination. What? It was so close to the hotel! Little did I know the place was like Willy Wonka's factory. 


Taffy conveyer belts along the roof

Taffy machine. Oh the swirls!


Those barrels? Heaven. Just leave me in any one of those and pick me up when the candy runs out in a day or two. Now, even though I'm not a candy apple fan, they were like works of art. Seriously! Just amazing creations. I was tempted to buy one in particular:


Obviously, a caramel and chocolate covered apple decorated like a pig would make an AMAZING souvenir of Savannah, right? I resisted the urge, but I did happen to go back to that store 3 times in 3 days, and yes: I bought something each and every time. Tuesday: chocolate covered marshmallow on a stick, Wednesday: hard candies from the dispensers, Thursday: pecan pralines. 

Shame none of them made it all the way home. Whoops. 

Don't worry, there were some workouts in those three days too. Actually, since there was a gym, I was so excited to work out inside! A month without a gym membership = way too many hot July runs in Georgia. So my workouts went like this on vacation:

-Tuesday afternoon when we arrived, I was desperate to stretch my legs. Did 4.75 miles on the treadmill, with 1 mile warm-up @ 9:50, 3 miles tempo @ 8:30, and then 10 minutes or so of cool down jogging. 


-Wednesday morning was a quick 30 minutes on the elliptical. I was going to hop in the pool afterwards, but I forgot my bathing suit. How does that happen?

-Thursday: Another run on the treadmill. 5.5 Miles in 50 Minutes at 1.5% incline. Watching Saved by the Bell. I had to actually tear myself off that thing to meet everyone. I really wanted to know what happened after Kelly dumped Zach! Next time, I guess. 

What's the worst thing you've forgotten to pack on a vacation?
I still remember leaving a toothbrush at home on a camping trip when I was little. I learned the "brush with your finger method." Gross. 

Do you ever watch TV on the treadmill/elliptical? What do you watch?
At my old gym I would watch whatever was on the big screens--usually the news. But old re-runs is way better! Saved by the Bell is an old favorite, and yes I wanted to be Kelly growing up. 

Comments

  1. hmm i forget my tooth brush and paste a lot, but the hotel usually comes to my rescue (or CVS)...I have forgotten bathing suit...but now i pack one every time I travel, even if I have no chance of a swim!

    I always watch TV if I am on a TM or elliptical. I watch the news most times, because I don't read the newspaper that often, but hate being ignorant to the worlds' happenings - I will also watch E! to tune out completely on tough runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. way to get in three workouts in three days of vaca!!! you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm candy!!! Looks like a lot of fun. I love catching old shows on tv when I'm running. It definitely makes the time go by faster.

    I hate forgetting a razor when I travel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice going on getting into the gym so many times. That candy 'factory' looks amazing. Love that pig!

    I used to watch movies when I ran regularly on a treadmill at our home. I did Toy Story and Toy Story 2, I recall, amongst others. To just run on the treadmill is way too boring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job working out on vacation! You rock.

    Yes, I always watch TV while on cardio equipment. Sometimes just knowing that a DVRed episode of Toddlers and Tiaras is waiting for me is the only thing that gets me on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hat litttle pig is adorable! I totally would have brought a sleeping bag and tent and moved in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love candy stores! And yes I love Saved by the Bell and watching TV while I run. I watch TV every single morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love those cookies oooo they are sooo good! I used to schedule my runs around good movies at the gym. i onced watched a whole movie while running. but now the gym i have does not have individual tvs and my elliptical does not have a plug in, so only when i am on the treadmill do i get to enjoy movies and reruns yes save by the bell and boy meets world

    ReplyDelete
  9. That candy store looks awesome!! I use to travel frequently for work so I use to forget all kinds of things from dress shoes to deodorant... The worst when some food spilled and all of my work clothes were dirty I had to hand wash everything and the next morning I didn't have any dry clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. chocolate covered marshmallow on a stick - be still my heart!

    I have only done this once but I forgot my retainer and it hurt when I got home to shove that thing in before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have BEEN to that candy store! Recently. I don't even have a sweet tooth, but fell in love with that place! (Their collection of pecan + caramel candies makes my mouth water just thinking about it.) Mmm... It's a good thing I don't live closer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That candy store looks fanstastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy to "meet" another blogger from the East TN/North GA area! Your blog is really interesting, and it looks like we have similar interests. I added you to my Google Reader.

    We were supposed to do a race in Athens, GA last weekend, and couldn't find it. LOL! We did see signs for Chatsworth though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brush your teeth with your finger!! I hate that but am guilty of it too!

    At the gym I always watch TV. I usually watch SYTYCD, Man vs. Food, Ellen, or the Food Network.

    That candy looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will address two issues on your post with stories from my second marathon. 1. I brought underwear to wear to the race. And that was it. We were there 3 days. Had to hit up Ross ASAP. 2. After the marathon, I checked into a Doubletree, like still in my sweaty clothes and bib and everything, and they tried to deny me a cookie. Let's just say they are lucky they are still alive. 3. SPOILER ALERT!!! She dates her boss from the Max, and Zack is devastated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I randomly found your blog and I've just started reading :) I'm a big foodie and my husband and I loved Savannah when we went a couple of months ago. And yes, we made it to the candy store too :) But, I have a question, how did you lose so much weight and still like sweets so much? I work out every day and am below my pre-pregnancy weight but I can't get the last 7 pounds off (to my goal). I just can't seem to NOT have a dessert everyday :( Help!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. the candy. i gotta go to that place. it looks AMAZING. great job on your vacation workouts :) i LOVE the TV during gym time...usually ESPN...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my god, those apples look amazing. I need to go have breakfast so that I can stop thinking about them, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would like to take a vacation out there! We are so behind on vacation planning but I am so interested in going to Georgia now after that post! That candy shop looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tampons, Ellen & how could you pass up the chance to eat a pig candy apple??

    Sounds like you had a "sweet" trip :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Race the Bar 5k Recap (AKA: A Personal Worst!)

Do you remember a few weeks back, when I was all braggy about running in Florida in February/March? Sunny mornings around a lake with a light breeze off the water have turned, cruelly, into humid stretches of time where I am humbly reminded of my own limitations. You guys, I see these gazelle-like creatures, men and women alike, who prance on my running route with compression socks, a soft glow of perspiration at their brow. It's beautiful. It's also a harsh reminder that I am not them. I am currently running in the thinnest, smallest items of clothing I can without offending anyone (shirt stays on, people). I dare not step outside without some awful visor or wide-brimmed hat. When I hop in the shower after a run, my face is a deep crimson that causes my husband to voice his concern for my general well-being. Have I mentioned this is what happens after my easy runs, with a few walk breaks thrown in? Yeah. It's humbling. Now, I'm not complaining. It's beautiful

1st Wedding Anniversary--Celebrating with Chocolate!

One year ago today, I married the love of my life. And I couldn't be happier! In celebration of our very first anniversary, here are some pictures of our favorite moments together: Our first trail race together Hiking together in GA And of course, our wonderful wedding in Hong Kong. We both decided to keep things very simple, with a casual ceremony with a few friends and family and then lunch at the Mandarin Oriental. Exactly what I wanted! With our parents after making it official! Our entire wedding party. Just family and dear friends! Goofing around with my garter at the reception lunch! You think you know what couples do after they get married? You know, their first night at man and wife? If you guessed eat ridiculously delicious chocolates in their bed at the Grand Hyatt, you're right.  Oh, I haven't changed. One year later and I still celebrate with sweet things! Thanks Tim, for being a wonderful husband. I love you!

Brace Yourselves: Cuteness is Coming

One of the hardest things about moving, for me, was wondering how the cats would adjust each time. Although our cats are super travelers at this stage, I feel really guilty every time we have to pack them up and force them onto a plane. I remember my grandma telling me years ago that when she moved with a cat, they put butter on their paws. That way, the cats spent the first day in a new house licking their paws to get them clean, and that was enough time to lose the "smell" of the old house. I love that story, and I wish the same principle applied to longer moves. Anyway, that's a super long intro to say that for the fellow cat ladies out there, our three fur babies are insanely happy in this jungle gym of a home here in Florida. It's warm, there are plenty of sunny spots to curl up a take a nap, and they have lots of room to spread out. Despite the space, of course, they still usually want to take a nap on my head at night. Obviously. They also love climbing on ou