I'm learning about the newest items constantly and I find myself wondering what products/ideas are worth the investment. So, I decided to write a post about it and ask you all to give me your input, please! I'll list some items I'm curious about, explain them a bit and give you what I have experienced so far. That's where you come in..if you have experience with any/all of the things mentioned, comment and let me know!
Without further ado....
1) Compression Socks: I have to admit I am most interested in these. The idea is that they can boost blood flow and increase circulation, which helps you to recover faster after you run. Sounds good to me! But...do they work? I've read mixed reviews...some people say wear them running, some suggest wearing them after running. What have you heard? Have you tried them with success?
2) Foam Rolling/"The Stick": It's no secret I'm entangled in a crazy love affair with my foam roller. My arms ache from holding myself up for ages rolling my legs, but I just can't give it up. I credit my roller for eliminating A LOT of pain in my legs. I hear some great things about "The Stick" too--is it only good for travel or worth it to use in addition to a roller? Thoughts?
3) Road ID: Obviously, this is a great and practical item. Keeping your name and address on you is important in case you have an injury and need help. But has anyone paid the $20 for it? Is there a cheaper way to stay safe that some of you use?
4) Anti-Chafe Gel: Does anything need to be said about the benefits of NOT having your thighs rub together like crazy when you run? After an hour, I definitely need this. Less than that and I never really have any problems. The brand I bought was $9 a stick, though. Do you need to buy a speciality kind for running or have you used things like vaseline as a cheaper alternative?
5) Running Socks: Unless you're an awesome barefoot runner (seriously, I have muchos respect for you guys) you need to run in socks. I had blisters repeatedly until I finally bit the bullet and purchased some more expensive running socks. Ta-da! Problem solved. I really wish I had done this sooner. What are your experiences? Do you wear normal socks with no problems? Or any kind of non-cotton ones? Or did you splurge on special running socks?
|My favorite--Pink Under Armour|
|Good enough for Kara!|
7) Massages after a race: I really want to like this idea. Mostly because I need some proof to give my hubby so I can sign up for a bunch of 1-mile races and start getting massages weekly. However, I have read that massages IMMEDIATELY after a race can be a bad thing. Thoughts? Have you ever had one straight away at the end of a race? Do you think they help you recover faster?
8) Sweat Bands: Not to go all retro on you, but summer is approaching here in Georgia. It's getting hot, and I'm getting sweaty. In the gym I have a towel, I wipe my face, it's all good. Outside? I lift up my shirt and try to wipe my forehead without flashing anyone. Clearly I need to adjust my routine. What do you do? Wrist sweatbands, forehead ones (please someone send me a picture of you wearing one of these) visors, carrying a towel?
So there you have it. I assume you have learned nothing but now have lots of information to give me, right? Please? I'm so excited to get your input so I know what is worth the investment. Also, if there are any running gadgets like this I have left out, tell me!
There is an awesome Giveaway going on over at Jenn's Adventures so check it out! And one over at Island Style Running too. Hurry over and get your Hawaiian treats from both of them. They're fantastic!
Happy Wednesday everyone! :)